Saturday, October 28, 2017

Inktober Day 5: Long (Ridge)

The prompt was "Long."  So here's a long snowy ridge to walk along.

 

Materials

  • Pigma Micron 005 and 02 pens
  • H hardness drawing pencil
  • White erasers of various shapes and sizes
  • Cold-pressed watercolor paper cut to 3.5x5" 
 




 

Step 1:  Sketch with a pencil

Sketch the ridge lines and general areas with a pencil.  I should have sketched the shading in as well.

 

Step 2:  Draw with a pens

Using the 005, carefully choose the steepness and direction of the slop from each ridge point.  Some areas are shaded or especially rough and rocky, so hatching may be good here.  Some areas are sheer so I used lines.  I used the 02 to add the ridge and valley lines, after the shading, and varying the line weight to indicate distance.  This cleaned up the look.

 

Step 3:  Carefully erase the pencil marks


Results

I may repeat this.  It's not an interesting final product, but maybe I could make it more so.  I will still give it as a gift.  It was good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment