Thursday, November 10, 2016

Materials: All About Masking Fluid

Jackson's Art Technique: Comparing Masking Fluids has a systematic approach.  I should replicate their test card for my own purposes.

I purchased Winsor & Newton Watercolor Art Masking Fluid in "Slightly Pigmented" because it was recommended by several people at a watercolor painting demo in a local store.  It didn't have bubbles without shaking.  It seemed separated before I opened it, so I shook it up.  Later I read on several sites that shaking can cause aggregation of the latex, strings and lumps--not nice for a masking fluid.  It does smell unpleasant, but if it's not immediately under your nose, it's not too bad.  I didn't find that it was too runny for how I used it, nor did I see any tearing or bleeding as a result.  I do need a finer brush for application however, or maybe a silicon tip applicator.


No comments:

Post a Comment