Thursday, June 28, 2018

Pompom Dangle Earrings

Goal

 

Inspiration

I made these as gifts as they look fun, light, and bold.  I had some yarn and some extra earring hooks.  I found a set of five new chokers at a thrift store for chains and jump rings.  Beautiful, low-cost, easy, custom hand-made gifts!

Materials

  • yarn
  • a clean fork 
  • scissors
  • jewelry chain, 4-10" depending on style and preferences
  • jewelry pliers
  • jump rings, 2-4 per pair
  • dangle earring backs, 2 per pair
  • a short piece of sewing thread
  • loop turner

Step 1:  Make a pompom

Make a small pompom using the fork method linked here.  Use straight "regular" yarn.  The shiny, squiggly kind won't work -- or at least the one I have.  Leave two long tails after you tie the knot around the yarn bundle, and don't trim them when you trim the rest of the yarn.  The 'regular' width variegated yarn (shown in the left picture) used 90 loops, six layers of 15 windings.  The yarn on the right is a custom variegated one my aunt made, with tufts of unspun wool, glitter threads, and small strips of fabric spun into it.  The width varies widely.  I used 40 loops, four layers of 10 windings, and couldn't trim those pompoms quite as small.  They both ended up rather fuzzy, almost felted, and not looking like they're made of yarn.

Step 2:  Add the chain

For the single strand, I used a jump ring at the end of the chain, and double-knotted the yarn tails through the jump ring, then trimmed the tails closely.  The single chain was 1.5-2" long.

For the double chain, I threaded a piece of regular sewing thread through the end link of the chain.  I pushed the loop turner carefully through the middle of the pompom, and caught the thread with the hook, to thread the chain through the center of the pompom.  The double chain was 4-5" long.

Step 3:  Add earring back

Use a jump ring to connect the single strand to a hook earring back.  Test out the length in the mirror  to choose a length you like.

Use a jump ring to connect both ends of the double strand chain to a hook earring back.  Test out the length in the mirror  to choose a length you like.

Step 4:  Repeat steps 1-3 for a matching earring

Results:

I like these, and I'd make them again if and when I know someone who'd wear them.  I might make some for myself, if I get real silver materials and a yarn that won't irritate my sensitive skin.



No comments:

Post a Comment