Thursday, June 28, 2018

DIY Rocker Balance Board

Inspiration

I have access to a Bosu ball in the gym, but I needed a balance board to use on vacation, and decided to bring it home so I can do my PT exercises at home if I can't make it to the gym.  Bosu balls are probably expensive and are too awkward to be any sort of portable.  The balance board like the one my PT showed me is $80 online.  The starred items were "found" items from my house or one of my parents', so the total cost of this board was about $10.

Goal

 


Materials

  • A scrap of nice 7-ply plywood*, cut to 1'x2'
  • A scrap of 2"x2"*, cut to 1' long
  • Two 1 1/2" wood screws*
  • Four rubber 'feet' nails* (used for trivets), or thin slices of a wine cork and glue, optional
  • Four 1" L-brackets
  • Eight 1/2" wood screws
  • Paint or varnish*, optional
  • Grip tape, optional

 

Tools

  • Table saw* (or a skill saw and sawhorses, if you're skilled), or some lumber stores might make the cuts for free
  • Drill press, cordless drill, or Yankee drill*
  • Hammer*
  • Pencil*
  • Tape measure*
  • Sand paper*: 120 & 200 grit, or thereabouts
  • Paint brushes, rags, and necessary cleaning fluids depending on the finish you choose*
  • Scissors* or a knife to cut grip tape -- don't use good sewing scissors for this!

Step 1:  Cut wood to size

Measure and mark plywood, then set the fence of a table saw and cut.  Repeat for the 2"x2".  (Some lumber stores might make the cuts for free.)

Step 2:  Sand both pieces

I sanded both pieces smooth using 120, then 200 grit sandpaper.  I slightly beveled the corners as well to minimize the chance of splinters and cuts.  This is easier to do before assembly.

Step 3:  Drill pilot holes

Measure and mark placement of screws, then drill pilot holes using a bit smaller than the diameter of the screw post. 

To attach the boards together, I placed two off-center as I didn't want one in the middle -- it might be uncomfortable on a bare foot when doing a one-legged balance exercise.  This wouldn't matter if you will cover it with grip tape.

To attach the brackets, I made sure they were each approximately one-fourth of the length of the 2"x2" from the end, and off-set them slightly so the screws wouldn't align through the board.

(A Yankee drill is a push-drill.  It takes less space to store than all but the smallest of electric drills, but it may not be cheaper.  I borrowed one to take home as I didn't have the brackets with me on vacation.)

Step 4:  Assemble

Paint or varnish the two wood pieces, as desired, and let dry according to the instructions on the can.  Attach the boards to each other with the long wood screws.  Attach the brackets with the short wood screws.  Hammer in the rubber feet or glue on the slivers of cork to the four bottom corners.  Cut and apply grip tape in a pleasing and/or functional pattern to the top of the board.


No comments:

Post a Comment