Friday, August 23, 2019

Half-Linen Stitch Pidge Scarf

Inspiration

I want to make some Christmas gifts and practice knitting on small projects.

Materials

  • a found partial skein of yarn -- #4 orange/pink/purple multi, probably acrylic, est. 153 yds.
  • US size 8 (5.0 mm) metal needles, 14"
  • a print-to-PDF version of the free pattern 
  • two round dark purple sphere buttons, ~3/8" dia.
  • a sewing needle and thread to match the buttons 

Step 1:  Match found yarns to vintage buttons

I have a stash of yarns I found in the art supply exchange and some were gifts.

I have a selection of vintage buttons from mom's and aunts' stashes; some were my great-grandmother's too.

I tried to pair a selection of both so I can make 7-8 different ones.

Step 2:  Match yarns to patterns

I found a variety of free pidge scarf patterns on Ravelry.com and matched the yarns and needles I have to appropriate patterns.  I chose to start with this as it uses a fairly simple set of stitches.

Step 3:  Follow the pattern instructions

I relied on a number of YouTube videos to do a Left-Handed Knitted Cast-On, knit vs. purl, and a left-handed slipstitch purlwise.

Step 4:  Progress and Notes

The metal needles are too slippery, and I may be having tension issues.  I wouldn't have four rows of Garter Stitch next time, because I think this edge is too big.  I've had to unknit several times as well as join the yarn because there was a break, so I've gathered those video in my post on Knitting Tips.  I've also realized I was switching between English and Continental Styles because I was taught both by different people who didn't explain the difference.  I've included that link in Knitting Tips too.

Step 5:  Evaluate the length

I've been testing the length as I go along by wrapping it around my own neck and trying to envision it with the buttons in use, knowing that the recipient probably has a smaller neck size.

Step 6:  Add buttonholes, if necessary

The pattern called for three buttons and three buttonholes; I have two vintage ones I want to use, so I only added the first two.  It's a bit tight but I didn't add a second yarnover because I didn't want it to be too loose when fastened!

Step 7:  Cast off

I used the __________ cast off (include link).

Step 8:  Add buttons

The pattern indicated a good placement for the buttons, and I laid the scarf out to make sure the buttons would line up with the holes, then sewed them on using doubled matching embroidery floss and an embroidery needle.

Step 9:  Block

I used the __________ blocking method (include link).  I had some cardboard and some extra contact paper I put on it so hopefully the scarf would dry faster rather than making the cardboard wet.

Results

I love this one!  I might be tempted to keep it if I thought I could wear these unknown fibers.



WORK IN PROGRESS

No comments:

Post a Comment